By Roger Chartier

United States of America IRS Tax Information

Tips about how to fix errors made when you filed your tax return.

So you filed a tax return, and a while later you realize that you made a mistake!
Q: Are you going to hell or can it be fixed?
Ans: It can be fixed.
There are some things that you need to do, and we have them in a handy list format for you below.

When should you amend your return?

  • You should do it when and if your tax credits, tax deductions, total income, number of dependants and filing status were reported incorrectly or forgotten or omitted. There are more reasons found in the instructions.

  • Do not amend your return if you have a simple math error or a missing form that they will find for you or fix for you.

  • Use a specific form called the 1040X form, (get it there) (be sure to add in the year you are amending) Amended Individual Income Tax Return to amend a form1040 , a form 1040A, a form 1040EZ, a form 1040 NR and a form 1040NR-EZ.

  • Mail and file each year that you are emending in separate envelopes to the correct address as noted on the Form 1040X.

  • Notice the three columns on the form 1040X A, B, C. The first is for the original numbers, the second is for the changes made and the third is for the corrected number.

  • All other forms must be attached to the form 1040X to avoid a delay in processing.

  • If you're waiting for an additional refund, cash the first check, and wait for the second to come in.

  • If you find that you owe more money in tax, file form 1040X right away to avoid any worsening of interest and penalties charged to you.

  • File the 1040X up to three years from the date that you filed the form to be amended or or within two years from when you paid your tax on it.

  • Although you file quickly, the IRS will take from 8 to 12 weeks to return any processing to you.

    See the video below.

Why We Exist

Roger Chartier
We want you to be more informed.

A lot of people break out in a nervous sweat and get the shakes when it comes time to file their taxes.

The first time that I tried to file by myself left me with a feeling of confusion because I did not bother to read any information about how to go about it in a fair way, a way that didn't leave me broke and living in a cardboard box in the alley.

I just had at it without reading anything and it was overwhelming. I assure you that after all these years I won't get into a difficult situation like that without any proper info and good forms to file.

Some folks just file as fast as they can to get it over with. They loose out on a bunch of legitimate deductions and allocations that could have saved them a ton of money at tax time.

 I would rather be getting a nice tax refund than pay the IRS a lot of money. Pay attention to the details.

This gal just found out that she is getting a few thousand dollars back in taxes.
Can you see how happy she is?